Pages

12 Jan 2019

Pretty in Pink

Little niece started with gymnastics and asked me if I would make her a leotard. How could I resist... 
So I gave her the choice of a couple of Jalie leotards (2792, 3241 and 3464) and shorts. It wasn't a hard decision: it had to be the X-back leotard with the 3247E shorts. 
After showing her some fabrics from my stash to give her an idea of the type of fabrics and some colours, she preferred stretch velours. After looking at some webshops with her mum, she choose 2 or 3 fabrics from a shop that is also an actual store at driving distance. Therefore I decided to go there myself and have a look at the actual colours. White, bright pink and silver it would be!

As little niece is tall and skinny, I lengthened the leotard pattern to a size L (including the arm and leg openings). A size K length would probably given her enough room for growth as well. 
For the shorts I cut a size J, based on her hip measurements. One size up would have given a better fit in the back and in the future I will probably add elastic to the the waistband (or just adding elastic to the waist, pattern option D).

When I gave her new gymnastics set, she loved it! She didn't take it off for the rest of the day and her mum told me that niece would sleep in it if she was allowed to. For me, there is no bigger compliment...

ETA (apr '19): turns out that what I thought was room for growth (wrinkled shoulderbands) isn't that. Mum has already asked if I could make the same leotard in a larger size. It might be that the elastic is too tight and in that case it might be worth unpicking the elastic (although I used a triple zigzag stitch...). Otherwise I'll make little niece a new leotard and probably also some larger shorts (with elastic in the waistband)

Patronen/ Patterns:
turnpakje/ leotard: Jalie 3241B 
shorts: Jalie 3247E
haarfrutsel/ scrunchie: Jalie 2792
tasje/ little bag: no pattern
Maat/ Size: J/K/L
Stof/ Fabric: Stretch Velours (TT-Gymnastics)



No comments:

Post a Comment